|Policy No.:||6-2||This policy applies to:|
|Policy Name:||Job Descriptions||
The job description provides a basis for job-related selection procedures and performance standards.
The job description specifies:
- scope of responsibility and accountability
- specific job functions and tasks
- functions and tasks which are essential
- educational prerequisites
- skills, knowledge and abilities required to perform the job successfully
- certifications or licenses required
- physical requirements of the position including essential functions for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- special conditions of employment
- closeness of supervision required
- judgment and discretion required
When a job is established or changed, a job description is written. Forms for creating a job description are available online. The job description documents the job duties and standards. This provides information upon which salary band is assigned and serves as a basis for employee assessment in the Performance Evaluation process.
The supervisor should share the job description with the employee during his or her first few days on the job. The job description should be reviewed for necessary updating once a year, most commonly at the annual performance review. Updated copies of all job descriptions should be submitted to Human Resources for inclusion in the master job description record.